Social Insurance Number (SIN) Clinic Registration

Social Insurance Number (SIN) Clinic Registration

Want to work in Canada as an international student?

Before you can begin working, you need to be eligible to work in Canada and have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada, a Canadian government department.

How do I get a SIN?

Service Canada will be on-campus and has extended after-hours service at their office just for UBC students during the dates below:

When: Monday, August 27 – Thursday, September 13, 2018 (times and locations vary)

How: Attend an in-person SIN clinic appointment

Where: UBC Life Building Room 1505 (on-campus) or West Broadway Service Canada Centre (off-campus)

Cost: Free


Your study permit must have a condition stating you ‘may work’ or ‘may accept employment’. This will be required to process your SIN at your appointment.

If your study permit does not include any conditions to work or states you cannot work, unfortunately you will not be able to get a SIN at the SIN clinic. To get the conditions placed on your study permit, you will first need to change conditions or amend your study permit before you can apply for a SIN.

How do I register for a SIN clinic appointment?

You will need to register online on a first-come first-registered basis for an in-person group appointment slot. A limited number of appointments are available, so be sure to register as soon as possible. You must first enroll in the course to view availability.

Here are the steps on how register:

  1. At the top right corner of this page, click on "join this course"

  2. Sign into UBC Canvas with your Campus Wide Login (CWL)

  3. Click on “enroll in course”, then “go to the course” to register for the Social Insurance Number (SIN) Clinic Registration course

  4. To view the available times and locations for appointments, click on the “calendar” icon on the left-hand pane, then "find appointment" to the right (or scroll down this page to “course summary” then select either location) 

  5. Check your academic schedule, orientation program or personal commitments against available times to ensure that there are no conflicts

  6. Click on the time that works for you then an appointment window will open. Click “reserve”, then you are registered

  7. Add your appointment to your smartphone or any other scheduling device so that you can be reminded of your appointment. Please ensure you can attend it as there are limited appointments available

By registering, you are authorizing UBC to provide your first and last name to Service Canada staff. This information will be used for the purposes of appointment booking and check-in for the SIN Clinic being run August-September 2018 only.

    What do I need to bring to my SIN clinic appointment?

    Be sure to bring these documents with you to your appointment:

    • Your original study permit which states you ‘may work’ or ‘may accept employment’, and

    • Your original passport

    What if I cannot make my SIN clinic appointment any longer?

    You can cancel your appointment through your Social Insurance Number (SIN) Clinic Registration course calendar by simply clicking on your appointment time, then selecting “un-reserve”. Kindly do so as soon as you know and before your appointment; this will allow another student to register.

    No more appointments available?

    Please check availability again in the future as students may cancel. If you cannot secure an appointment, not to worry. You can go to any Service Canada office near you to apply for a SIN.


    Please contact International Student Advising


    Course Summary:

    Date Details